Female Hair Transplant
Female Hair Transplant
Female Hair Transplant
At Dezire Clinic we understand that hair loss in women needs to be treated with different approach than hair loss in men and it requires a different approach when considering hair and eyebrow restoration in women. The patterns of manifestation of hair loss in women are different than in men. The hair loss in women is more diffuse and it can occur at any age. In men genetics plays a major role whereas in women underlying conditions are more influential in thinning of hair.
It can be a devastating experience in women to suffer from hair loss but the good news is, cure can be achieved with both medical and surgical approach. This is a confirmed fact by International society of Hair Restoration surgery.
In women a thorough disease specific workup and evaluation of underlying condition is necessary when treating hair loss. Here at Dezire, our dedicated staff will make sure that your evaluation and workup is thoroughly completed. Women usually notice hair loss during menopause that results in reduced density of hair usually in the middle of the scalp that thins laterally. The hair is many times miniaturized due to longer resting telogen phase. Hair Loss is seldom seen in frontal hairline.
Reasons for Hair loss in Females:
Women can lose hair due to various reasons, some being simple and reversible and some pretty serious. To mention some, physical and emotional stress, pregnancy, too much vitamin A, vitamin B12 deficiency, lack of protein, anemia, lupus, hypothyroidism, too much weight loss, PCOS, medicines like antidepressants, blood thinners, overstyling, trichotillomania.
Establishing the Correct Diagnosis
Every patient who visits our clinic for hair loss is evaluated for hormonal and medical problems. Here at Dezire clinic, we take your hair loss seriously and know that the workup and evaluation of female hair loss is quite different than men. We take your hair loss seriously by performing an underlying disease specific medical evaluation. The first step in evaluating the cause of hair loss in women is a complete history and physical. Our team at Dezire will make sure that your history and physical are thoroughly done. Following tests typically done for a patient:
- Serum iron, serum ferritin, and total iron binding capacity (TIBC)
- Thyroid levels (T3, T4, TSH)
- Complete blood count (CBC)
Grade of Baldness is decided by Ludwig’s scale:
Type I. In this stage, hair loss is considered to be mild. Hair loss is not easily noticeable as frontal hairline is not affected. Hair loss is seen in top and front of the scalp.
Type II. Type II hair loss is considered moderate. Thinning, shedding, decrease in volume can occur in this stage. Increase in center part continues. Based on the severity, a hair transplant procedure may be a viable option for women who exhibit a Type II classification.
Type III. Type III is the most extreme classification of female hair loss. In this stage, hair becomes so thin that it has difficulty camouflaging the scalp, rendering it visible to the naked eye.
A disease specific lab work is important as that will decide whether medical, surgical or a combination approach is needed to treat your hair loss.The final decision to go for hair transplant is dependent upon whether your hair loss has finally stopped, location of your hair loss, and if the balding is concentrated in one or two areas.
Who Is a Candidate For Hair or Eyebrow Restoration?
- Women with thinning scalp hair and almost all women who have thinning eyebrows.
- Burns victims who have lost some but not all hair.
- Someone who want to restructure their hairline.
- Women with mechanical or traction alopecia (non-hormonal) resulting in hair loss.
- Women with a peculiar pattern of baldness, similar to that of male pattern baldness- hairline recession, vertex thinning (on the crown or top of the scalp), and a donor area that is not affected by Androgenetic Alopecia.
- Women with hair loss due to trauma, including burn victims, scarring from accidents, and chemical burns.
- Women who have undergone cosmetic or plastic surgery and are concerned about hair loss around the incision sites.
- Women diagnosed with traction alopecia or alopecia marginalis.
- Women who want to thicken or restore eyebrows.
Once the decision to perform hair transplant surgery is made, you’ll have to decide between 2 methods, Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), and a simpler and less invasive surgical method called Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).
Patient’s hair is transplanted in naturally occurring groups of 1 to 4 hairs, called follicular units hence it is called as Follicular Unit Transplantation. These follicular units also contain sebaceous (oil) glands, nerves, a small muscle, and occasional fine vellus hairs.
In an FUE hair transplantation, each follicular unit is individually taken directly from the scalp without removing strip of tissue. Hair follicles are removed in a random fashion and it results ins less density in the donor area that many say is not even noticeable.
Between the two procedures, FUE is the most desirable cosmetic procedure because it does not leave a large linear scar at the back of your scalp. Besides leaving no scar, FUE requires no sutures or staples hence the healing procedure is much faster and also there is no risk of bleeding or nerve damage. Additionally, this procedure can be performed in an outpatient setting under local anesthesia which means the patient doesn’t have to stay in the hospital and can resume work the next day after procedure. Some more advantages of Unshaven FUE procedure include:
- Maintaining the natural angle and direction of hair giving the hair absolutely natural look.
- Thickening of the thinning areas of hair without damaging existing hair follicles.
- Utilizing dense packing procedure to achieve higher density of hair in treated areas.
- Minimal scarring in both donor and recipient areas.
- Using unshaven FUE technique in females allows them to get the procedure without shaving their heads or any part of the body. Hair in donor area are transplanted full length, hence it’s possible to return to work the next day without anyone even noticing about the procedure.
MaX FUE hair transplant
Hair transplant is now a reality even for women just like men. With improvements in hair transplant techniques, we can now reassess female patients who would have been rejected as unsuitable candidates in the past. With new automated Max FUE and Bio FUE technique its possible to transplant any number of grafts for bald spot coverage in women. On an average it’s possible to transplant 1500 grafts by Unshaven FUE technique. It takes around 6-9 months to see the full grown end results. The result is that of natural and head full of hair without any side effects.
Now to summarize, steps before hair transplantation
- Personal consultation with Dr Prashant Yadav to decide if you are a good candidate for hair transplantation.
- During consultation he will examine the donor area to determine how many follicular units can be obtained. He will also examine the recipient area to determine final number of grafts needed.
- Obtaining medical history report and photographic record.
- Coming to the final decision.
- Pre procedure and post procedure instructions will be explained to you by our staff.
- Booking procedure date.
- Hair Replacement Procedures.
Risk and Side Effects:
There are no risks or complication associated with the hair transplant. There will be minimum discomfort and swelling of the forehead. We will prescribe medication for that and it will subside soon on its own
Cost of the procedure:
The costs for hair transplant by FUE scarless procedure depend on the grade of your baldness. You can fill the online consultation form or can mail your scalp pictures on firstname.lastname@example.org (5 photos, frontal, top, both side and back view) to know your exact cost for your case. You can schedule your free consultation at our clinic to answer all your queries regarding the procedure
Question: Can women have hair transplants like men?
Answer: Yes women can have hair transplant like men. Women who have patterned hair loss (i.e thinning which is localized to the front and/or top part of their scalp) and who have hair supply on the back as donor supply and sides of their scalp, make excellent candidates for fue hair transplant. The results are natural.
Question: What is the cost of hair transplant in women?
Answer: The costs for hair transplant by FUE scarless procedure depend on the grade of your baldness. You can fill the online consultation form or can mail your scalp pictures on email@example.com (5 photos, frontal, top, both side and back view) to know your exact cost for your case. You can schedule your free consultation at our clinic to answer all your queries regarding the procedure
Question: Can FUE hair transplant is done without shaving in women?
Answer: Yes in female no shaving of hair is done where the graft need to be implanted. In females only little bit trimming of hair is done on the donor site on back of scalp. It’s done in such a way that remaining hair will hide that trim area
Question: What is the recovery time of women hair transplant?
Answer: You can resume your work from next day. No food or travelling restriction after the procedure are prescribed.
Question: What are the side effects of hair implantation in females?
Answer: There will be minimum discomfort and swelling of the forehead. We will prescribe medication for that and it will subside soon on its own.
Question: What is the treatment of current hair fall of the existing hair?
Answer: We will prescribe anti hair loss medication to control your current hair fall. With medication we can stabilize your hair loss so that you won’t lose your existing hair.